A “tracker” is a simple sheet of paper with a unique design that the application uses to place your 3D model in space at scale. When the tracker is placed in the camera view of the app, your model automatically attaches to the 2D image. This allows you to walk around your 3D model without it moving with you.
There are 3 types of trackers: Universal trackers, on-the-fly trackers, and custom trackers. Below we describe all 3.
The universal tracker works with all your models. All 3D models in Augment can be displayed on the same tracker. When scanned by the app, your model attaches to the universal tracker automatically. Universal trackers are useful for those who want to fix their model in place and move around it.
How to use the universal tracker:
- Print the universal Augment tracker, A4 size or print the universal tracker, US letter size or print the universal Augment tracker, pocket size
- Scan the universal tracker with the app
- You are brought to a model gallery. Select the model you would like to attach to the tracker
But what if you can’t print the universal tracker? That is when you can use an on-the-fly tracker. You can turn any 2D image into a tracker. On-the-fly trackers are temporary and not saved to Augment’s server.
How to create an on-the-fly tracker:
- Select a model in Augment.
- In the toolbar, choose the option “Create a tracker”.
- Grab a piece of paper that is contrasted and complex enough, and not shiny.
- Scan it with the app until the indicator turns green.
- Now you can see the model being attached to this trackers, and turn the tracker in any position, the model will follow.
- When you’ll leave the app, this tracker will not work anymore.
A custom tracker is a 2D image of your choosing which is linked to a 3D model. When scanned by the Augment app, custom trackers enables the visualization of the attached model. With custom trackers, anyone can use Augment to scan your image and view your 3d model on top of it. It’s a perfect feature to create interactive brochures, catalogs, flyers, displays, etc..
To learn more about what a custom tracker is, how to use and upload them, please watch:
How to create a custom tracker:
1. Log into Augment Manager and click on “My Trackers” , then on “All Trackers”.
2. Drop your printed document or browse your computer to upload a jpg or png image (5MB max size). Here are some guidelines for what makes a good custom tracker.
3. Click on “Edit” and select the 3D model you want to link to your tracker. You can also chose to link the tracker to a URL or a folder of 3D models.
4. After a few minutes, go to the Augment app, and click on scan.
5. Scan the image you just uploaded. The model to which it is attached should pop up in Augment.
6. You can now print this 2D image for your flyers, displays or business cards.
Depending on which plan you subscribed, your tracker could be scanned up to 10K times without additional fee.
Click here to learn more about custom trackers.