Exporting with the Augment plugin
The Augment plugin for 3DS Max works with:
– 3DS Max 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012
– V-Ray and Mental Ray renderers
3DS Max plugin new features:
- Exports reflective materials so that they reflect the real environment in Augment.
- Exports animations whether they are baked or not.
- Now exports models in Collada instead of Obj in order to handle more material properties.
- Brings a lot of enhancements and bug fixes to the baking process to offer the best quality.
Installing the 3DS Max plugin:
– Download the plugin.
– Watch this tutorial to install it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtDXTtItS3Q
Exporting with the 3DS Max plugin:
In some cases, in order to run the plugin, you will need to select:
– Scripting > Open “Run Script” > MZP-file
To export and animated model from 3DS Max, export it manually in Collada:
1. In 3DS Max, open the 3D model view.
2. Then go to “File” > “Export” >Export non native file formats.
3. Then select”Autodesk Collada” or OBJ-Exporter.
4. Finally, find and zip the dae. file and textures (or the obj file and the material) and upload the .zip file onto Augment manager.
Read the article “Adding a 3D model manually” to find out how to upload the model manually.
3DS Max offers tools to automatically reduce the number of polygons.
The following show the steps to follow to reduce polygons using Batch ProOptimizer:
1. Open your 3D model in the viewport and display the number of polygons by selecting the “Utilities” tools on the left hand side menu then More..> Polygon Counter> Count Polygons.
2. The polygon count will be displayed in the active window.
3. To reduce the polygon count, go to Utilities >More…> Batch ProOptimizer and select the files, the directory and the optimisation, then click ok.
4. 3DS Max will generate one or more files depending of the optimisations selected and the reduced polygon count will display in the active view.